Thailand is considered one of the world’s best motorcycle touring destinations. Tropical landscape, palm trees, sun, amazing Buddhist temples, forgotten mountain villages, waterfalls, lush jungle, wild animals and Thai cuisine make it a paradise for motorcyclists.
In comparison to other countries of Southeast Asia, the infrastructure of Thailand and services are at a rather high level. The condition of roads is satisfactory, which allows you to easily reach places less known and avoid crowdy tourist spots. Of course, the key is the right motorcycle. You could rent in any large city. In the following post you will learn what are the most popular motorcycles for motorcycle road trip around Thailand. However, before you start thinking about choosing the right motorcycle for your Asian adventure, read the most important things you should know before traveling to Thailand:
- left hand traffic
- an obligation to ride in a helmet
- international driving license – it is required to drive a motorbike / scooter or even a car in Thailand. You should apply for it in your home country, before you leave. Driving without it is at best a risk of being caught by the police and paying a fine. Worse if you will be involved in a traffic accident. Without IDP, no insurer will cover your costs
- insurance – buy the proper travel insurance before going to Thailand. Remember that for insurance to work, you must have an IDP.
- the best time to travel is between mid-October and April, when the weather is more stable and the climate is drier. Unfortunately, this is also the peak of the season, which is associated with higher rental and accommodation prices and a large number of tourists.
The Honda CB500X is “eXplorer” version of Honda CB500. It’s a direct competitor of the Kawasaki Versys 650 and the Suzuki V-Strom 650. The CB500X is widely popular with Thais for touring and a bit of off-road. It offers a great ride also with pillion passenger. A huge advantage of this motorcycle is its low weight and comfortable seat. It is suitable for long distances – has enough power for highways, although it runs like a small motorcycle. Honda CB500X is a reasonable proposition for people less than 175 cm tall and women dreaming about a tourist motorcycle. It is also an ideal proposition for people at beginning of their adventure with motorcycles. Check the rental price and availibility of Honda CB500X.
– Fuel tank 17,5 L
– range: over 400 km
– comfortable seat (81 cm)
– comfortably placed footrests
– low weight
– load limit is only 185 kg
– suitable for people who are less than 175 cm tall
– the version available for rent has one central trunk
Kawasaki Vulcan 800
Kawasaki Vulcan is a classic chopper. Driving with this motorcycle is a great pleasure. The engine is not only dynamic and flexible, but also extremely “quiet”. It does not generate annoying vibrations and is relatively economical with fuel. A low seat is very good news for short people and novice motorcyclists. Tall riders can feel less comfortable. Just like those who will travel as passengers. The back part of the sofa is simply small. Kawasaki Vulcan surprisingly performs well on winding roads as for the weight of the motorcycle and the limited ability to bend in the corners. Check the rental price and availibility of Kawasaki Vulcan.
– Length – 237 cm – makes driving comfortable and pleasant
– the maximum speed is 186 km / h
– The driver’s seat is soft and wide, which allows me to overcome long distances
– fuel consumption 5.5-6.5 L / 100 km
– our model for rent has two side trunks
Kawasaki Versys 650
The Kawasaki Versys is an incredibly maneuverable and rather light motorcycle that is well suited for winding Thai roads. 181 kg of weight should not cause difficulties for the driver, and maneuvering at low speeds or squeezing in a traffic jam is a pleasure – unfortunately, due to the height of the seat, it is created for people over 175 cm tall. The suspension in Kawasaki Versys is comfortable and works great on uneven roads. For fans of distant travel with a passenger minus will be maximum load capacity of 180kg. Check the rental price of Kawasaki Versys.
– motorcycle range – over 400 km
– a model for rent with 3 boxes
– for people over 175 cm tall
– seat height 84 cm
– fuel tank 19L
If you have read this article, it is probably accompanied by an irresistible idea of traveling in a way that gives a great sense of freedom, that is a motorcycle. Choosing the best motorcycle for travel is often not easy. Although the most important will be the voice of your heart and the available budget, I hope that our article has been helpful.